Tips to Stay Healthy this Holiday
The lights have been strung, Mariah Carey’s “All I Want For Christmas” is playing in any store with automatic doors, and the Christmas cards and invitations are piling up. ‘Tis the season, and with the hanging of stockings and wreaths soon come the holiday parties, families, endless cooking, and feeling as though you don’t have a moment to simply breathe. So how does one get through the holiday season? By doing just that: breathing; and if that’s not quite enough, here are a few healthy tips this holiday!
1. Find a holiday run or walk in your city, or see if your local yoga studio is offering a special donation based class. Gather your willing friends and family, release some stress while supporting local charities and encouraging healthy balance during the holidays.
2 . The best gift you can give to yourself, and others, is to ENJOY yourself. We often become so overwhelmed by the seemingly never-ending holiday to-do list that we are taken away from the moments that are the most precious. So put down the spatula, or the credit card, and take a moment to sit down with your loved ones to embrace the true meaning of the holidays.
3. Stay hydrated, of course. Throw a little mint in your water to make it festive!
4. Cut yourself some slack. If you are someone who is mindful of what you eat, don’t deprive yourself of the most delicious time of year. Find the balance to your meals, or perhaps alternative ingredients to those beloved holiday classics.
5. After a long day spent in the kitchen and around the table, put on your coat and end your evening with a walking tour of a neighborhood donned with Christmas lights, engulfing yourself in the season.
6. Healthy eggnog via My New Roots!
7. Above all, the most important health tip I can give you is to laugh – with your loved ones, by yourself, while relaxing and watching holiday classics. (Home for the Holidays, anyone?)