Holiday Travel Essentials
The holiday season is upon us and with loved ones down South and scattered about both coasts, I have a lot of miles, frequent flier or otherwise, on the horizon.
I love to travel, and even with the bustling airports and seemingly endless lines, the unspoken but imagined stories and destinations of my fellow travelers fill me with appreciation and excitement for my own. Traveling, unfortunately, is not always easy. Those aforementioned lines? The personal space you relinquish as soon as you sit down on the plane? Climate and time zone changes? Traveling can take a toll not just physically, but mentally. It’s important to ensure that you’re taking care of yourself even when you’re thousands of miles from home with a routine and diet that might not align with your typical one.
How do I get through the holiday travel season? With a continuous reminder to breathe, yes, but these accessible travel essentials are the real trick:
1. These homemade bars packed with proteins, whole foods, and simple, delicious goodness, give me the boost of energy I find I often need on a day of travel.
2. Serial, the addictive new crime podcast from This American Life contributor and producer Sarah Koenig follows her investigation into a murder case from 1999 as she searches for answers to questions that no one seemed to ask fifteen years ago.
3. Comfort on an airplane is key, which is why I always like to pack a light, but warm, blanket.
4. I often use my travel time to catch up on books I’ve been eyeing but haven’t quite had the time to read. Lena Dunham’s bold and humorous Not That Kind of Girl has been on my holiday reading list since the book was first announced.
5. While I’m sure the flight attendants appreciate my constant requests for water, a reusable water bottle equipped with a charcoal filter is now with me almost everywhere I go, traveling or not.
6. Patina Natural Definition Eye Pencil is a smoky brown eyeliner that goes with most eye shadows making it the perfect travel companion. It’s one of my favorite holiday additions because it’s so versatile!
7. Tata Harper’s Natural Skincare Try-Me Set is also perfect for travel as it provides samples containing one or two uses of their products. Tata’s Resurfacing Mask is perfect when I need a little brightening and refreshing.
8. I try my best to only pack a carry-on so I can avoid the hectic whirlwind otherwise known as baggage claim, and Everlane’s Weekender Bag is my favorite.