Our semi-annual sale of one of my favorite products (and secret weapons) has begun. Our Satin Matte Foundation delivers smooth, even coverage that minimizes pores rather than clog them. And it’s comprised of just 4 pure ingredients. But the best of all, it can be adjusted for a variety of finishes: matte, or dewy or simply on it’s own for a natural coverage.
If you find that your skin falls more into the oily category, you understand the struggle of the glare that seems to permanently shine through your foundation; that’s where our Balancing Primer Powder steps in. It is a sheer powder with kaolin clay, which absorbs oil naturally and preps your skin. Apply the Balancing Primer Powder with a #23 Kitten Brush and then complete your long-lasting matte look with Satin Matte Foundation with a #15 Flat Top Brush. This particular brush is completely flat with soft, dense cruelty-free bristles, to create full coverage.
For a radiant, dewy finish, apply Satin Matte Foundation with the #25 Foundation Brush, and set your foundation with Radiant Finishing Powder, which provides a subtle glow. For added glow dust our Highlighter along your cheekbones, down the bridge of your nose, and across your forehead to brighten your look and achieve a soft, luminous glow.
When I was younger my father would drive my brother and me to the closest rock climbing gym to San Antonio, an hour and fifteen minutes away in Austin. In 2014, for the first time in fifteen years, and with a dear friend by my side, I put on the climbing shoes and harness and found myself learning an important lesson that I have since applied to the my life and experiences off the rocks and outside the gym: you are never stuck, even when it feels like it.
I found myself confronted with this thought many times at the beginning; when my grip didn’t feel strong enough, or I didn’t see the next feasible move. I would freeze, but then realize I had two options: move forward or let go, and that either way I would be fine, and supported, and so I would take a deep breath and propel myself up. Every time, I made it to the top, and every time, I felt more and more empowered.
2014 presented some big challenges, some that at times left me feeling momentarily defeated, but rock climbing inspired me to never tell myself “I can’t”; it taught me to try, and to find the strength through that effort.
I asked some of the Alima staffers what challenged and inspired them this past year to help propel them through 2015. Here’s what they had to say:
Sara F.: My sister. My younger sister recently got divorced, and while she is now learning to support herself entirely on her own while going to school and maintaining a job, she stays infectiously positive throughout everything. She’s owning herself, and gives me the strength in my own life to see that not only can she endure anything, but thrives while doing so.
Alyson: Finding swimming holes with my “Aqua Posse”. This summer we explored the Umpqua River. These outdoors adventures with my friends invigorate me every summer and set the tone for the rest of the year.
Candice: It was a big year for me – I turned thirty and my father passed away, two monumental milestones that have caused me to reflect on who I am and all that encompasses. For the first time I am finding myself looking deeper, into myself and into the future, and while the unknown is unsettling it is also incredibly empowering.
Charlene: My friends, and the strength they have given me to overcome any obstacle.
Ashlee: My niece and nephew, who constantly remind me to embrace the youthful imagination and playfulness we so often forget thrive in each of us.
Kat: Exploring the outdoors, forcing me to recognizing the beauty surrounding us and truly appreciating it.
The lights have been strung, Mariah Carey’s “All I Want For Christmas” is playing in any store with automatic doors, and the Christmas cards and invitations are piling up. ‘Tis the season, and with the hanging of stockings and wreaths soon come the holiday parties, families, endless cooking, and feeling as though you don’t have a moment to simply breathe. So how does one get through the holiday season? By doing just that: breathing; and if that’s not quite enough, here are a few healthy tips this holiday!
1. Find a holiday run or walk in your city, or see if your local yoga studio is offering a special donation based class. Gather your willing friends and family, release some stress while supporting local charities and encouraging healthy balance during the holidays.
2 . The best gift you can give to yourself, and others, is to ENJOY yourself. We often become so overwhelmed by the seemingly never-ending holiday to-do list that we are taken away from the moments that are the most precious. So put down the spatula, or the credit card, and take a moment to sit down with your loved ones to embrace the true meaning of the holidays.
3. Stay hydrated, of course. Throw a little mint in your water to make it festive!
4. Cut yourself some slack. If you are someone who is mindful of what you eat, don’t deprive yourself of the most delicious time of year. Find the balance to your meals, or perhaps alternative ingredients to those beloved holiday classics.
5. After a long day spent in the kitchen and around the table, put on your coat and end your evening with a walking tour of a neighborhood donned with Christmas lights, engulfing yourself in the season.
6. Healthy eggnog via My New Roots!
7. Above all, the most important health tip I can give you is to laugh – with your loved ones, by yourself, while relaxing and watching holiday classics. (Home for the Holidays, anyone?)
Celebrate the season with Glimmer, part of our Gilt Collection for Winter 2014. Filled with naturally gorgeous metallics, the Glimmer set offers a modern take on a classic look. It features Lamé, a shimmering golden eyeshadow; Stella, a bold garnet Velvet Lipstick; Burnish Highlighter, a rose gold highlighter; Patina Natural Definition Eye Pencil, a smoky taupe; and Brown Natural Definition Mascara. See how to get this naturally gorgeous look in a few quick steps.
6. Apply two coats of Brown Natural Definition Mascara, a rich brown that brings out all eye colors.
7. Finish the look with Stella Velvet Lipstick for the perfect festive holiday lip!
Have you tried our Velvet Lipstick? It’s truly THE lipstick where you can have it all as it’s high-pigmented, glides on smoothly and provides a long lasting velvet finish. It has a subtle delicious vanilla scent and (most importantly!) is brimming with pure, moisturizing ingredients that are hydrating, healing and soothing to the lips. All six shades of Velvet Lipstick were created with you in mind as they’re wearable for all skin tones and suit whatever style you’re feeling like channeling for the day. All month long we will be introducing each shade to you here on the blog and would love to hear your feedback along the way.
Candelillia and carnauba waxs protect lips and deliver long lasting wear
Shea and cocoa butters keep lips hydrated and supple
Jojoba, coconut, and sunflower oils nourish and moisturize delicate skin
Parabens, artificial preservatives, sulfates, synthetic dyes, phthalates, dimethicone, petroleum, talc, bismuth oxychloride, nano particles
The holiday season is upon us and with loved ones down South and scattered about both coasts, I have a lot of miles, frequent flier or otherwise, on the horizon.
I love to travel, and even with the bustling airports and seemingly endless lines, the unspoken but imagined stories and destinations of my fellow travelers fill me with appreciation and excitement for my own. Traveling, unfortunately, is not always easy. Those aforementioned lines? The personal space you relinquish as soon as you sit down on the plane? Climate and time zone changes? Traveling can take a toll not just physically, but mentally. It’s important to ensure that you’re taking care of yourself even when you’re thousands of miles from home with a routine and diet that might not align with your typical one.
How do I get through the holiday travel season? With a continuous reminder to breathe, yes, but these accessible travel essentials are the real trick:
1. These homemade bars packed with proteins, whole foods, and simple, delicious goodness, give me the boost of energy I find I often need on a day of travel.
2. Serial, the addictive new crime podcast from This American Life contributor and producer Sarah Koenig follows her investigation into a murder case from 1999 as she searches for answers to questions that no one seemed to ask fifteen years ago.
3. Comfort on an airplane is key, which is why I always like to pack a light, but warm, blanket.
4. I often use my travel time to catch up on books I’ve been eyeing but haven’t quite had the time to read. Lena Dunham’s bold and humorous Not That Kind of Girl has been on my holiday reading list since the book was first announced.
5. While I’m sure the flight attendants appreciate my constant requests for water, a reusable water bottle equipped with a charcoal filter is now with me almost everywhere I go, traveling or not.
6. Patina Natural Definition Eye Pencil is a smoky brown eyeliner that goes with most eye shadows making it the perfect travel companion. It’s one of my favorite holiday additions because it’s so versatile!
7. Tata Harper’s Natural Skincare Try-Me Set is also perfect for travel as it provides samples containing one or two uses of their products. Tata’s Resurfacing Mask is perfect when I need a little brightening and refreshing.
8. I try my best to only pack a carry-on so I can avoid the hectic whirlwind otherwise known as baggage claim, and Everlane’s Weekender Bag is my favorite.
Create smooth, defined, and naturally gorgeous shaped brows with our Brows that Wow kit this winter! Each kit contains a full-size brow shade along with all the tools you’ll need to get the job done in three simple steps.
Step 1: With your Brow Brush + Comb, brush through the brows in an upward motion.
Step 2: Dip your #33 Angle/Liner Brow Brush into your preferred brow shade. You don’t need much powder, so be sure to tap any excess off of the brush! With a light hand, begin by creating smooth, angled strokes to the brows to fill in the brows to your desired shape.
Step 3: Brush through the brows again with your Brow Brush + Comb. This helps blends everything together, creating the illusion of natural brows with less harsh lines.