Just this morning I was asked by a coworker what my favorite yoga pose was, to which I responded with not one, or two, but five beloved poses. I couldn’t choose just one, as all poses benefit and influence our body and mind differently depending on the day, hour, mood. What then followed was a discussion of what it was that drew us to a particular pose, and a common answer we both shared was not only the feeling, but also the visual of strength and empowerment. I find that when I visualize myself in a pose, I am able to harness that energy of what the pose represents to transform and deepen my practice and then carry that with me out of the studio.
Photo by Hide a Dollar Yoga
One of the poses that has a strong visual impact on my practice is the Goddess pose, or Utkata Konasana, which literally translates into fierce angle pose. For me, it allows me to awaken the “goddess” within by channeling that feminine force and experience the powerful energy that encompasses the grounding pose.
A great pose to open up your chest and hips while also strengthening your lower body, this pose also allows you to take a moment to bring back awareness to your breath and to observe any discomfort or disquiet physically and mentally.
1. From mountain pose, bring your right foot out so that you are standing with your feet about three feet apart, turned out to a 45 degree angle with your heels facing in. Raise your elbows so that they are actively at shoulder height, bent, and with your palms facing in.
2. Exhale, and bend your knees into a squat, pressing the hips forward while your knees press back to create a deep hip opening. Focus on your shoulders, removing tension from them by dropping your shoulders from your ears and rolling them down the back as if pressing the shoulder blades together, creating a gentle heart opening of the chest.
3. Hold for three or four full rounds of breath, before releasing on your inhale by guiding your hands above your head and then bringing them down to Anjali Mudra, or prayer hands, in front of your heart.
Tip: If you find that you are having difficulty creating a straight spine, try this pose with your back up against the wall for added support.
We usually think of layering for fall in terms of clothing, but layering eyeshadows can evolve a look in a naturally gorgeous way too! Especially lovely together are two By Night shades - Flashback Luminous Shimmer Eyeshadow, a radiant shimmering bronze, and After Hours Luminous Shimmer Eyeshadow, a soft charcoal black flecked with gold shimmer.
Get the look by prepping your eyes with a base shade to even out any redness on the lids. We love Fleur or Vanilla Satin Matte Eyeshadow for this! Next, dampen a #39 Large Eyeshadow Brush and pick up a small amount of After Hours to apply all over the lids and up to the crease. Since this pigment will be quite intense, let eyeshadow dry and blend out with a #37 Blending Brush for a more smoked look. Next, with your finger or a clean and dry #39 Large Eyeshadow Brush layer Flashback right on top of After Hours. Top it off with a coat of Black Natural Definition Mascara.
We encourage you to layer some of your favorite shades for fall to create something new, different, and naturally gorgeous!
Blue eyes naturally have a calm intensity complimented best by warm tones in a variety of hues – not just your typical shades of brown.
As a blue-eyed gal myself, I have over time, and with a little trial and error, come to understand the best shades to enhance and brighten my baby blues. Since blue is a cool tone, choosing warm colors on the opposite side of the color wheel, in shades of orange and neutrals as example, will bring out the depth and vibrancy in your eyes.
Need a little help? I’ve compiled a little cheat sheet with my favorite recommendations for all you other blue-eyed beauties out there.
Grey tones: Flattering and versatile, grey tones allow for additional depth and dimension without being overpowering or distracting. Try Zen Pearluster Eyeshadow and By Night’s After Hours Luminous Shimmer Eyeshadow for a smoky look.
Orange tones: Colors such as peach and rust contrast with your enchanting blue as they fall on opposite sides of the color spectrum. Try Silk, and Cimarron Pearluster Eyeshadows and Auburn and Mohair Satin Matte Eyeshadow to bring out the vibrancy and coolness of the eyes.
Gold tones: These reflect and highlight a subtle and playful glint in your irises. Vertigo Pearluster Eyeshadow from the By Night collection is insanely gorgeous and also Chai and Pyrite Luminous Shimmer Eyeshadows as well as Camel Pearluster Eyeshadow.
Brown tones: Shades of brown are alluring on just about everyone and brilliantly emphasize your blue tones whether worn strong or subtle, smoky or soft. Luminous Shimmer Eyeshadows in Tigereye and Brown Sugar as well as Cappuccino Pearluster Eyeshadow are perfect for an everyday look. If you gravitate towards mattes try out Cocoa Satin Matte Eyeshadow and I promise you won’t regret it!
Wildcard: Labyrinth Pearluster Eyeshadow is a deep teal shade that actually suits blue eyes like you wouldn’t believe. It’s bold but is a dusty green perfect for a night out that looks so naturally gorgeous.
P.S. To finish off your blue eyed look, finish it off with two coats of Brown Natural Definition Mascara.
Written by: Sarah Lewis
We’re seriously crazy about By Night’s Vertigo Pearluster Eyeshadow. We like to think of it as the little black dress of eyeshadows because it’s incredibly flattering on everyone. Vertigo is an antiqued bronze shade with subtle shimmer. It is officially our #1 Fall staple. Pair Vertigo with Cranberry Lip Tint for a quick and easy look – perfect for date night or a cocktail party. Get the look in six simple steps below.
4. Line your upper and lower lids with Ink Natural Definition Eye Pencil. For a soft look smudge the eyeliner with a #33 Angle Liner Brush.
6. Coat your lashes with Black Natural Definition Mascara. This mascara will lengthen and add volume that is long-lasting.
7. Time for ruby lips! Apply two coats of Cranberry Lip Tint for a gorgeous red gloss that also keeps your lips moisturized throughout the evening.
Ink Natural Definition Eye Pencil has arrived! Ink is a naturally gorgeous carbon black eyeliner that glides on smoothly and lasts all day. It’s filed with 100% natural ingredients – chamomile flower extract soothes and protects the delicate eye area while a rich blend of jojoba, mango seed, macadamia and meadowfoam seed oils nourish and hydrate the lash line. Like Coffee Natural Definition Eye Pencil, Ink contains beeswax, carnauba and candelilla waxes to deliver water-resistant all day wear. Natural mineral pigments give rich, saturated, lasting color.
Ink complements all eye colors and has the versatility to create many looks. Line your eyes along the lash line for a gorgeous day look or smudge it out with a #33 Angle/Liner for a dramatic evening look, or create a soft, delicate line for a subtle daytime look. Ink is the perfect counterpart to the By Night Fall collection. Our favorite shades to pair with Ink are Vertigo and Breathless, but it’s one of those flexible neutrals that works with everything.
Whether I’m asking her what she brought for lunch that day or her opinion on the latest political controversy, lead lab technician Mari Hoiland is my go-to gal for new ideas, influences, and inspirations. Accustomed to being bombarded with questions from me about recent discoveries and daily routines, I thought I’d bug her a little more than usual and ask her for a list of her current and longtime favorite necessities for this installment of Staff Favorites.
Once a month Mari’s mother whips up a batch of pesto and gifts it to Mari’s household. Mari puts it on just about everything – eggs, pasta, vegetables, rice; you name it. She hopes you love the recipe, too.
With an avid thirst for knowledge, Mari’s New Yorker subscription is a wonderful and compelling source for current news and culture.
When asked for a product recommendation in the office, one often hears “Radiant Finishing Powder” across the room from Mari. She swears by our Radiant Finishing Powder in Augusta, as well as Satin Matte Eyeliner in Pewter as a subtle and smoky liner, Satin Matte Eyeshadow in Raven for her brows, and our #33 Angle Liner Brush for both.
As the weather shifts and the season begins to transition, the distinctive voice of Tom Waits is often found playing in her car or as she cooks in the kitchen to accompany the fall air.
In May, WNYC launched a new podcast “Death, Sex, and Money” with Anna Sale. A podcast that explores the frank conversations we often avoid, Anna speaks with people from all walks of life and experiences on topics we all relate to: “death, sex, and money”, and everything in between.
Coconut oil. For, well, everything…
A splash of cold water in the morning with Witch Hazel Toner to help balance the skin and reduce redness, and the simple yet effective (and very inexpensive!) Kirk’s Castle Soap (followed by jojoba oil as a moisturizer) in the evening to wash off the day.
Boscia B.B. Cream helps smooth out imperfections while serving as a nourishing moisturizer for a sheer and long lasting coverage.
One of the most versatile eyeshadows in our By Night Fall collection is Breathless Pearluster Eyeshadow. This gorgeous beige grey brightens the eyes no matter what undertone or eye color you have. Wear Breathless all over the lid, on it’s own, as a base with deeper By Night shades like After Hours or Labyrinth, or as a face highlighter. Here’s one of many ways to get the Breathless look this fall.
1. Begin with freshly cleansed and moisturized skin. Apply Satin Matte Foundation in your favorite shade with a #25 Foundation Brush. Our lovely model Ashley is wearing a light application of Warm 2 Satin Matte Foundation.
2. To brighten the cheekbones, apply Apple Blossom Satin Matte Blush to the apples of your cheeks with a #17 Blush Brush and blend outwards. This gives a gorgeous natural flush to the cheeks.
3. For a luminous highlight, use your #23 Kitten Brush to apply Breathless Pearluster Eyeshadow on the tops of your cheek bones and down the bridge of the nose. With your finger pop it right onto the cupids bow.
7. This soft and feminine look calls for bold brows. Take your #33 Angle/Liner Brush to define your brows with your brow shade. Ashley is wearing a mixture of Blond and Cocoa Satin Matte Eyeshadow to create her perfect shade.
9. Dab on Sweet Pea Lip Tint to enhance the natural color of your lips.