I have always been enchanted by horizons. As a tiny child my horizon included distant wheat fields under the Montana sky, broad views of the Sweet Grass Hills from the seat of my grandpa’s pickup, and endless expanses of drifting snow. Later it was the shimmering greens and grays of San Francisco Bay with the city shrouded in fog and the moody Pacific beyond. Wherever I was, perhaps because of those early years, the sense of expansiveness and possibility that comes from seeing distant horizons has nourished my sense of well being. I love New York, but I need wide open spaces. In those vast spaces I find myself and see my dreams almost as if they were palpable. I remember what I am about, what matters, where my next step should be.
One of the joys of summer is stepping out of our normal routines and focusing on our horizons as well as our paths. We recalibrate and rethink. We spend time with people we love. We remember our larger selves.
Our current Instagram contest is much more than a contest to me. It is a way for us to connect, and to share how we interpret growth this summer. As I go through each entry, I am enlightened by each and every one of you, and thank you for your beautiful contributions.
May your summer be filled with joy and the promise of expanded horizons.
Feeling inspired by warm weather? Get an easy, natural look for summer with the Horizon Full Color Story Collection. Available in both Light/Medium and Medium/Deep sets, these are the perfect essentials for a beautiful and simple routine.
1. Start with a sheer layer of Balancing Primer Powder in Medium (light-medium set) or Deep (medium-deep set) brushed over your T-zone, or any areas where you experience excess oil. During the hot summer months this can make all the difference in keeping your makeup shine free and in place all day. Our #7 Half Moon Brush works well with this product.
4. For a warm glow, use the #7 Half Moon Brush with Contour Powder in Sombra. Apply in the shape of a ’3′ by brushing across your forehead at your hairline, along the hollow of your cheek, and down along your jawline.
7. With the same brush apply Terracotta Pearluster Eyeshadow blending at the base of your lashes and upward into your crease.
9. Dab on Desert Poppy Lip Tint for a gorgeous nude lip.
The Horizon Full Color Story offers a neutral pallet that can be used to create endless looks. Experiment with some of your favorite shades to warm up your summer look.
Summer is the season for adventure, exploration, and expanding your horizons. With this in mind we created the Horizon Limited Edition Color Collection. Inspired by the gorgeous landscape of the arid desert, this collection is minimalist, versatile, and universally flattering on all skin tones.
The Horizon Limited Edition Color Collection features the following full-size products:
Bone Satin Matte Eyeshadow: A sheer neutral cream with a soft matte finish perfect for all over the lid to brighten the eyes.
Terracotta Pearluster Eyeshadow: A warm earthy clay with a soft glowing finish, perfect to apply all over the lid to enhance eye color and also to contour the eyes in the crease.
Desert Poppy Lip Tint: A creamy dusty rose for muted pretty lips all summer long.
This special collection is now available along with the Horizon Full Color Story and Horizon Brush Collection. We hope you enjoy playing with these new shades and expanding your horizons all summer long!
We live in a peaceful neighborhood with lots of space and trees around. The streets don’t go through and there’s nothing much to see except houses, so there’s not much traffic. When the windows are open you can hear the occasional dog or lawn mower, sometimes distant traffic, but it’s quiet. That all changes in the early morning when the local golf club grooms its course. And the bit closest to our house, the putting green, is groomed by four leaf blowers (yes four!) every summer morning from 5:45 – 6:00 am. Monday through Sunday. And it wakes me up every morning.
Staffer Sara Lewis getting her headstand on
For the first few days I lay in bed trying to imagine what kind of machine could possibly make so much noise. Then one morning I raced down the hill in my pajamas to find out. The guys were amazingly affable but unmovable. Their schedule was set in stone, apparently. I was not happy and not especially gracious, I’m embarrassed to say.
After a couple of weeks lying awake during the beautiful early summer mornings I realized that my favorite yoga studio offers classes weekday mornings at 6 am. If I were to drag myself off to those classes I would never even hear the dreaded leaf blowers. Well, except for Saturday and Sunday. But maybe I’d be calmer about it after all that yoga and being used to rising early.
So off I went. I set my alarm for 5:30, tumbled out of bed, pulled on my yoga clothes, brushed my teeth, splashed my face with water, and was settled on my mat by 5:50 am.
At first it was hard. This was no evening relaxation class. This was the type-A ‘we get up at 5:30 to do yoga’ slightly competitive class. In fact I might have stopped going except that I knew that if I were still in bed at 5:45 I’d be fuming at innocent (but obnoxious) leaf blowers. So I kept with it. And I got stronger. And also calmer. All the wonderful gifts of a good yoga class were changing my days in the best possible way.
One day recently, on my way home in the morning, I had a fleeting moment of gratitude for the leaf blowers. My whole being had changed as a result of their morning schedule. Still, I’d be happy if they could knock it off on Saturday and Sunday.
Emma Stone always looks naturally gorgeous but she really outdid herself at this year’s Met Ball with an effortless sun-kissed makeup look. Enjoy our “get the look” step-by-step on how to achieve this radiant photo-ready red carpet look.
1. Apply your shade of Satin Matte Foundation (Emma is a Warm 1) with a #25 Brush to freshly moisturized skin. For this look, try for sheer coverage by blending your Satin Matte Foundation more than usual (buffing with a tissue can be really helpful here).
4. Pop Melon Satin Matte Blush onto the apples of the cheeks, and then blend to the hairline with your #23 Kitten Brush (with the leftover Olympia Radiant Powder on the bristles). This creates a gentle terracotta glowing blush.
6. Prep the eyes with a wash of Silk Pearluster Eyeshadow over the lids and up to the brow bone using a #39 Large Eyeshadow Brush.
9. Finish the eyes by curling the lashes and applying two coats of Natural Definition Mascara in black to both the top and bottom lashes.
10. Finally, finish the look with two coats of Lotus Lip Tint - it’s the perfect raspberry pink shade to compliment this effortlessly glam look. Have fun!
We’re loving everything about this video from local buddies Wild Ones. A day trip out to the ghost town of Shaniko, OR, where this haunting video was filmed, is definitely on the horizon.
We were so pleasantly surprised to discover this beautiful visit to Mikola and Randall’s airy little home on Apartment Therapy. On a related note, have you checked out Portland Supply Co? Mikola is one half of the team behind the blog.
One of us is looking forward to curling up under the newly blooming Lilac and reading Bunny Bunny again.
We’re pretty thrilled to have Rhubarb Lip Tint inside of BIRCHBOX’s Limited Edition: Free for All box. This collection is jam-packed with amazing products that are free from parabens, phthalates, sulfates, petrochemicals, and GMOs.
Isolt is the Celtic Goddess of love and fertility. She is known as a powerful force of energy, passion, love, endurance, and healing. Inspired by Isolt, we created a collection of complementary shades that create a strong and romantic look.
Our Isolt Collection includes Eternal a shimmering bronze eyeshadow, Cosmic a golden toned blue eyeshadow, and Tender Radiant Finishing Powder a sheer nude with a soft golden finish.
On Sarah, we created and alluring smokey eyed look perfect for spring nights. Here is how you can get the look.
3. Work a small amount of our Radiant Finishing Powder in Tender in the bristles of our favorite multi-tasker the #23 Kitten Brush, and apply with a light hand as you would a bronzer. With the #37 Eye Blending Brush you can target the brow bone and upper cheekbone for more of a highlighting effect.
5. After your liner has had a moment to dry, use the #39 Large Shadow Brush to blend Eternal up into your crease. For bolder coverage this can also be applied wet.
6. Line the bottom lash line with Eternal using our #33 Angle Liner Brush.
7. With a #37 Eye Blending Brush pop Cosmic to the center of the lids to create a burst of color. You can also use your finger to reapply for more intensity.
8. We filled in Sarah’s brows with our Satin Matte Eyeshadow in Mahogany. Our #33 Angle Liner Brush is the perfect tool for the job. Sweep the shade sparingly along your brows for extra definition and face framing.
9. Next, coat your lashes with Natural Definition Mascara in Brown.
10. Our Lip Tint in Mango on the lips is the perfect finishing touch for this look.
This romantic look is lovely on all, and so simple once you follow the steps. We hope you love the look! Be inspired, be daring, be naturally gorgeous you.