One of the most versatile eyeshadows in our By Night Fall collection is Breathless Pearluster Eyeshadow. This gorgeous beige grey brightens the eyes no matter what undertone or eye color you have. Wear Breathless all over the lid, on it’s own, as a base with deeper By Night shades like After Hours or Labyrinth, or as a face highlighter. Here’s one of many ways to get the Breathless look this fall.
1. Begin with freshly cleansed and moisturized skin. Apply Satin Matte Foundation in your favorite shade with a #25 Foundation Brush. Our lovely model Ashley is wearing a light application of Warm 2 Satin Matte Foundation.
2. To brighten the cheekbones, apply Apple Blossom Satin Matte Blush to the apples of your cheeks with a #17 Blush Brush and blend outwards. This gives a gorgeous natural flush to the cheeks.
3. For a luminous highlight, use your #23 Kitten Brush to apply Breathless Pearluster Eyeshadow on the tops of your cheek bones and down the bridge of the nose. With your finger pop it right onto the cupids bow.
4. With your #39 Large Eyeshadow Brush apply a wash of Breathless Pearluster Eyeshadow all over the base of your lid and up to your brow bone.
5. With your Coffee Natural Definition Eye Pencil line your lashes and use your #33 Angle/Liner Brush to smudge it out for softness.
6. Sweep on a coat or two of Natural Definition Mascara in Brown. This richly pigmented formula will neatly define your lashes and complement the deep sea green eyeshadow.
7. This soft and feminine look calls for bold brows. Take your #33 Angle/Liner Brush to define your brows with your brow shade. Ashley is wearing a mixture of Blond and Cocoa Satin Matte Eyeshadow to create her perfect shade.
9. Dab on Sweet Pea Lip Tint to enhance the natural color of your lips.
The By Night fall collection is here! We’ve created five limited edition eyeshadows to add drama to your look this fall. Inspired by film noir, each shade beautifully captures the light and adds mystery to the eyes with just a simple wash of color. As always, each of these vibrant eyeshadows provides intensity using just three natural ingredients.
Each shadow is unique and can be simply worn on its own or combined for a day or amped up nighttime look. Each week we will show you how to ‘get the look’ with each of the eyeshadows. This week is all about Labyrinth which is a glowing, sultry deep sea green.
1. Begin with freshly cleansed and moisturized skin. Apply Satin Matte Foundation in your perfect shade with a #25 Foundation Brush. Our lovely model Ashley is wearing Warm 2 Satin Matte Foundation.
2. To add definition to you cheekbones, apply Sombra Contour Powder into the hollows of your cheekbones with a #7 Half Moon Brush.
3. Apply a touch of Mimosa Satin Matte Blush the apples of your cheeks and blend to your temples for a natural flush with a #17 Blush Brush. This blends well with Sombra Contour Powder and lifts the cheeks while adding a hint of sweetness to your look.
4. For a gorgeous glow, use your #23 Kitten Brush to apply Lumina Highlighter on the tops of your cheek bones, down the bridge of the nose and with your finger pop it right onto the cupids bow.
5. Wet your #35 Eye Detail Brush and liberally apply Labyrinth Pearluster Eyeshadow all over the base of your lid and up to the crease (never going above the crease). Wetting the brush intensifies the eyeshadow into a vibrant sultry blue green.
6. Once Labyrinth Pearluster Eyeshadow is somewhat dry, go ahead and blend it out with your #37 Blending Brush to avoid any unwanted unevenness.
7. With your Coffee Natural Definition Eye Pencil line your lashes and use your #33 Angle/Liner Brush to smudge out for softness.
8. Sweep on a coat or two of Natural Definition Mascara in Brown. This richly pigmented formula will neatly define your lashes and complement the deep sea green eyeshadow.
9. Dab on Sweet Pea Lip Tint for gorgeous neutral pink lips.
What are the 5 Alima Pure products you couldn’t live without?
Ha! That’s hard. Can I choose whole categories? I love mattes. Satin Matte Eyeshadow, Satin Matte Blush, Satin Matte Foundation, LipTint and Mascara. And then of course brushes and our new eyeliner. It has been so hot in Portland this summer – eyeliner and mascara help me feel pulled together in the heat.
Do you have any health tricks or tips?
If I can workout before heading into the office in the morning I feel terrific all day. My trick is to have my yoga clothes ready so I’m out the door before I can think about how lovely it would have been to sleep longer. Then I pop home for a shower and make myself a big salad to take in for lunch.
Your background is in teaching, what inspired you to create a beauty company?
I loved teaching kindergarten but my dear aunt and my darling mother died within 18 months of each other, both from complications of breast cancer. I was teaching and quietly grieving. Teaching is very outwardly focused, and I found balance on the weekends by nurturing myself making natural skincare and then natural makeup. From that Alima grew organically – friends started asking for products and it grew.
Tell us a little bit about your everyday routine.
I usually wake up just before 5 am and meditate for half an hour, then zip off to early morning yoga. I’m home by 7:30 and then on my way to work by 8:45. Those hours in the morning have a huge impact on the rest of my day – I feel so much more focused and grounded when I’ve taken time to meditate and exercise. Workdays are filled with meetings, emails, product development and special projects. I love to go for a walk after work and cook dinner with my husband, and snuggle with my little rescue mutt, Ella. I usually read for awhile and conk out by 9:30 or so.
How do you find balance between yourself, family, and company?
Oh, it’s tricky for all of us, isn’t it? Most days I carve time for myself first thing in the morning and it makes a big difference. I generally get up at 5, meditate for half an hour and then take a 6 am yoga class in a beautiful studio 5 minutes from my house. I still have time to pop home for a shower and a good breakfast before work. Usually I make lunch, too – it takes 10 minutes to put together a wonderful salad. With a start like that I’m ready for all of the challenges of the day. Evenings are peaceful and fun – often my husband and I will go out, I have some snuggle time with our little pup, and then fall asleep fairly early.
What product would you recommend to an Alima Pure first-timer?
Foundation! It’s my favorite product and the cornerstone of our line. I spent months working on getting the proportions right so that it would have a light creamy feel and just disappear weightlessly into the skin. I love it.
What’s the best part about living in Portland?
Oh, so many things! There is so much support for living a healthy fun life here. By far the best aspect for me is the people. It’s so easy to connect with Portlanders – our beautiful city is laid back and easy going. I love to joke around with people, to laugh about how excited we get when the sun comes out, to ask questions and engage. Bike lanes and farmers markets and indie brands and food carts and awesome coffee. I love everything about it. Except the rain, perhaps, in February.
What is the best advice you’ve ever been given?
I had the good fortune to grow up around strong, empowered women. There wasn’t specific advice but a sense that with commitment and imagination one could accomplish just about anything. Whenever I feel wobbly I just have to think of them and I come back to center. Every woman should have that. We can share that message of empowerment though our community. That’s my dream.
What’s your favorite part about your job?
People! Our wonderful employees who make it a pleasure to come to work every single day, and our customers who totally wow us with their unfailing awesomeness, and our wonderful suppliers and partners who have nurtured and cheered for us as we have grown.
Can you share your favorite travel destinations?
We lived in Venice Italy, for a couple of years (I know, right?), and I can never get enough of it. There are so many amazing placed to visit in Europe but I can be absolutely happy roaming around my one little corner of Dorsoduro (a neighborhood in Venice) day after day. My sister has lived in India for years and I would very much love to visit her. And closer to home there is spectacularly beautiful Eastern Oregon and San Francisco.
Today we officially turn 10! This birthday is a special one for us, and as we travel down memory lane we can’t help but think of our #1 priority: YOU. Our customers have supported us endlessly and we can’t thank you enough for your generosity and guidance over the last 10 years. We learn from you everyday! We ask you celebrate with us this August as we offer lots of surprises we’re sure going to love.
Starting today, enjoy 10% off your next order and receive free shipping on orders over $65. We
encourage you to go bold this summer and play with color!
P.S. Make sure you’re signed up to our newsletter
and on social
for all of the birthday news to come!
Mica is a naturally occurring mineral found in an array of Alima’s products.
An essential ingredient found in most of our products, Muscovite mica is the most common form of mica and comes in a variety of grades that range from matte to lustrous. You may recognize this versatile mineral from the pearlescent glimmer in our eye shadows to the luminous glow of our finishing powders.
Refined and luxurious, cosmetic mica creates the following:
-a silky texture that adds smoothness to your skin,
-a long-lasting, soft-focus look that enhances and evens out your complexion, and
-the ability to reduce the appearance of fine lines and pores.
The name mica, thought to come from the Latin word micare meaning “to shine,” is quite fitting for our product since the high quality mica we use literally lets your natural beauty shine through.
I have always been enchanted by horizons. As a tiny child my horizon included distant wheat fields under the Montana sky, broad views of the Sweet Grass Hills from the seat of my grandpa’s pickup, and endless expanses of drifting snow. Later it was the shimmering greens and grays of San Francisco Bay with the city shrouded in fog and the moody Pacific beyond. Wherever I was, perhaps because of those early years, the sense of expansiveness and possibility that comes from seeing distant horizons has nourished my sense of well being. I love New York, but I need wide open spaces. In those vast spaces I find myself and see my dreams almost as if they were palpable. I remember what I am about, what matters, where my next step should be.
One of the joys of summer is stepping out of our normal routines and focusing on our horizons as well as our paths. We recalibrate and rethink. We spend time with people we love. We remember our larger selves.
Our current Instagram contest is much more than a contest to me. It is a way for us to connect, and to share how we interpret growth this summer. As I go through each entry, I am enlightened by each and every one of you, and thank you for your beautiful contributions.
May your summer be filled with joy and the promise of expanded horizons.
Feeling inspired by warm weather? Get an easy, natural look for summer with the Horizon Full Color Story Collection. Available in both Light/Medium and Medium/Deep sets, these are the perfect essentials for a beautiful and simple routine.
1. Start with a sheer layer of Balancing Primer Powder in Medium (light-medium set) or Deep (medium-deep set) brushed over your T-zone, or any areas where you experience excess oil. During the hot summer months this can make all the difference in keeping your makeup shine free and in place all day. Our #7 Half Moon Brush works well with this product.
2. Follow with a light application of Satin Matte Foundation in your perfect shade. Try using our Flocked Sponge for light, well blended coverage.
3. Apply a touch of Carnation Satin Matte Blush (light-medium set) or Soft Plum (medium-deep set) to the apples of your cheeks and blend to your temples for a natural flush.
4. For a warm glow, use the #7 Half Moon Brush with Contour Powder in Sombra. Apply in the shape of a ’3′ by brushing across your forehead at your hairline, along the hollow of your cheek, and down along your jawline.
5. Use our #33 Angle Liner Brush with a little more Sombra for a subtle definition along your lash line.
6. Apply Bone Satin Matte Eyeshadow with your #39 Large Shadow brush from lash line to brow for an all over eye brightening base.
7. With the same brush apply Terracotta Pearluster Eyeshadow blending at the base of your lashes and upward into your crease.
8. Sweep on a coat or two of Natural Definition Mascara in Brown. This richly pigmented formula will neatly define your lashes and complement the warm hues of this collection.
9. Dab on Desert Poppy Lip Tint for a gorgeous nude lip.
The Horizon Full Color Story offers a neutral pallet that can be used to create endless looks. Experiment with some of your favorite shades to warm up your summer look.